A PAN card, or Permanent Account Number card, is a vital identifying document provided by India’s Income Tax Department. Individuals, corporations, and entities are allocated a unique alphanumeric identifier to track their financial activities and income tax liabilities. The PAN card acts as identification and is required for many financial and non-financial transactions in India.
The PAN card is made up of a ten-character code made up of letters and digits. It includes vital information such as the holder’s name, date of birth, portrait, and signature. The principal use of the PAN card is to aid in the monitoring and regulation of financial transactions such as tax payments, income tax returns, and high-value transactions. Read on to know how to obtain a PAN card and check PAN card status online.
How to obtain a PAN card in India?
- Online Application: Navigate to the PAN area of the Income Tax Department of India’s official website.
- Form 49A: Complete Form 49A, the individual application form, and include accurate information such as name, address, date of birth, contact information, and so on.
- Attach any essential documents as verification of identification, address, and date of birth. Aadhaar card, passport, driving licence, voter ID and utility bills are all acceptable papers.
- Payment of Fees: Pay the PAN card application fee. The cost varies according to the manner of application and communication address.
- Submission: Depending on your desire, submit the application form, accompanying documents, and fee payment online or offline.
- Identity Verification: In the event of an online application, the verification process can be accomplished via Aadhaar-based e-KYC, a Digital Signature Certificate (DSC), or by PAN cardholder verification.
- PAN Card Issuance: Once the application has been completed and validated properly, the PAN card will be sent to the communication address specified in the application form.
- Tracking PAN Status: You can check the status of your PAN card application using the acknowledgment number on the Income Tax Department’s official website or by SMS.
- PAN Card Delivery: Within a few weeks, the PAN card will be delivered to the address specified in the application form. Collect it and double-check the information displayed on the card.
Benefits of PAN card in India:
- PAN cards provide individuals, corporations, and organisations with a unique identifying number, ensuring a standardised identification system across the country.
- Income Tax Compliance: In India, the PAN card is required for filing income tax returns. It assists people and organisations in meeting their tax duties and ensures financial transaction transparency.
- Opening Bank Accounts: In India, a PAN card is necessary to open a bank account. It functions as a valid form of identification and enables seamless banking activities.
- PAN card is required for high-value financial activities like purchasing or selling immovable property, investing in securities and mutual funds, and undertaking business transactions above defined criteria.
- Government Services: A PAN card is required to acquire numerous government services and schemes, such as acquiring a passport, obtaining a driver’s licence, and participating in government tenders.
- Legal Documentation: The PAN card is frequently used as an identification document for legal purposes such as property registration, acquiring legal heir certifications, and meeting Know Your Customer (KYC) regulations.
- Individuals and businesses engaging in international activities, such as foreign investments, remittances, and overseas company operations, must have a PAN card.
- Individuals are required to quote their PAN card number in a variety of financial activities, including hotel bills that surpass a particular threshold, the purchase of foreign currency, and cash deposits that exceed a specific limit.
- Preventing Tax Evasion: By integrating individuals’ financial activities and income tax records, the PAN card aids in the prevention of tax evasion. It allows the Income Tax Department to track and monitor the income and tax liabilities of people.
- Financial Inclusion: The PAN card promotes financial inclusion by allowing individuals and enterprises to participate in formal financial institutions, obtain banking services, and participate in different government projects.
Overall, the PAN card provides various benefits by improving income tax compliance, enabling financial transactions, and fostering openness and accountability in the Indian financial system.
In India, Checking the status of your PAN card is an easy task. Here are the steps to verify the status of your PAN card:
- Visit the Income Tax Department of India’s official website.
- On the website, look for the “Track PAN/TAN Status” section. It’s typically found under the “Services” or “PAN” menu.
- Select the “Track PAN/TAN Status” option. It will take you to the page where you may track the status of your PAN application.
- Select the proper application type on the tracking page, which is “PAN-New/Change Request” for most people.
- Enter the unique 15-digit acknowledgment number supplied to you when you submitted your PAN card application. If you do not have the acknowledgment number, provide your full name and birth date instead.
- Fill in the captcha or security code that appears on the screen for verification.
- To proceed, click the “Submit” or “Track Status” button.
- Your PAN card application’s current status will be displayed on the website. It may display several stages, such as application received, in process, or dispatched.
- If the status indicates that the PAN card has been shipped, you should get it within a few weeks at the communication address specified in the application.
Note: The PAN card status can also be checked via SMS by sending an SMS in the format “NSDLPAN <15-digit acknowledgment number>” to the designated number provided by the Income Tax Department.
Finally, checking the PAN card status through NSDL in India is a simple process. Individuals can simply follow the progress of their PAN card application by visiting the NSDL website and submitting the application acknowledgment number or personal details. This user-friendly online service ensures openness and allows applicants to keep track of the status of their PAN card. Individuals can anticipate the arrival of their PAN card and ensure they have the essential documentation for various financial and legal operations by checking the NSDL PAN status on a regular basis